Shit We Like: Movement Climbing Gym
Seems that every city in the universe has a climbing gym, some better than others. Out here in the front range, where every third person climbs 5.13, we are lucky enough to have 3 1/2 climbing/training facilities. While all of them have their attributes, the new kid on the block, Movement, seems to have their shit pretty dialed in…
Limit came back from Rifle this year and explained to me that the new buzz word for the season in that steep canyon was “fitness.” While we poked fun at how there always seems to be a little word that infiltrates the minds and hearts of the Rifle faithful each season, it donned on me that “fitness” is where it’s at. Whether you’re a route climber, alpinista, boulderer, etc. we can all use a little more “fitness” to accomplish our goals. Enter Movement gym, whose motto happens to be “climbing+fitness.”
This plastic Eden finally landed in Boulder, CO during the summer months this year when most climbers were tending their outdoor projects. To the chagrin of some, the long awaited facility busted on the scene with weekend of FREE climbing, BBQ, and other Grand Opening activities.
“Another Gym in Boulder?” The naysayers were out there, I heard’em, however, I seem to see those same people tied in to the steep Voyager wall that now looms over the main section of Movement. Let’s just say this, once you see the place, you will more than likely wanna slip those climbing booties on and get after some good ole plastic pullin.
Let’s check off the top five reasons that YOU should be climbing at Movement:
1. Peer Pressure. Let’s be honest, it’s new, it’s hip, you’ll be a cool kid if you set foot in the place.
2. Energy. The psych from this vault of awesomeness is literally oozing from the walls. Fact: if you’re psyched you will climb better.
3. Modernity. Exercise equipment has cable television built in! This may even get me on the treadmill.
4. Routesetters. I mean a gym can only be as good as its setters right? I don’t care how many buckets of nifty little plastic holds you have or how steep your walls are, its gotta be bolted down with some experience and creativity. Well, Movement has the setting situation on lockdown! Don’t you even worry bout it, just go and climb that shizzy!
5. Greenieness. I small bird told me that Movement is the most environmentally friendly building in Boulder! Say What? Another bird, or maybe the same one also told me that their energy bill for last month was $19!
6. Affordable memberships. Memberships include cycling classes, yoga classes, state of the art Techno Fitness Equipment, and yes, of course, climbing.
7. Website. Scope the site here. Up-to-date information on the haps of the gym, great gallery, and climber profiles. Track your route progress via the Redpoint section of the site.
8. Towels. I love fresh towels, go ahead, ask for one at the desk you’ll get it!
Okay, so I went beyond my 5 points, but that should let you know how sick this place is. Prediciton: after a winter of boulderites climbing in this gym the website known as 8a.nu will explode, which in turn, will make the universe explode.
There’s more to “training” than just screwing around in the gym, which is usually what I do. If you really want to get serious about things, then check the variety of programs, teams, classes and one-on-one private instruction by the professional and psyched coaches and trainers at Movement. You want it, They have it.
Here’s the details on Rates, Directions and the like…By clicking you are agreeing to go to Movement and work on that Fitness…CLICK NOW!
Here’s some official photos that should have you salivating to become a strong gym rat. Thanks to wadedavid.com for sending these our way.