Crag Exposure: Ten Sleep Canyon
posted by bronco
WARNING: with blue and grey streaked walls so steep and pockets so small you may spontaneously blurt out phrases in French. People have been shot for much less in this part of Wyoming. For the goodies on TS hit the jump now!
Giddy Up! The Wild West comes alive in Ten Sleep, Wyoming. From local Outlaws to Saloons to wide open vistas, Ten Sleep is the O.K. Corral of the Climbing world. Far from the “Scene” of Rifle, Ten Sleep is a much more relaxed destination. With so much rock, some developed and some awaiting development, it will make you want to slap your mama and say your favorite expletive! Sorry ma, I really don’t want to slap you.
This delightful Dolomite canyon has seen most of it’s concentrated activity from the mid to late nineties to the present. TS is a great destination crag for those of you that need or want more elbow room than you local crag. With 20+ walls and more on the way, TS is quickly becoming a must do on the would be Western Climber’s road trip itinerary. If you can’t make the TS this season, plan on a little known climber’s festival held there over the Fourth of July holiday next year. The festival has been growing in popularity the last few years and should be a darn tootin good time.
The Scene: Boys, don’t expect to saddle up a cragging filly in cute little boulder booty shorts, you’re more likely to see or rein in a dame that looks like she just hog-tied a goat and milked it. Exceptions do exist, like this chica in the photos, but I think she’s taken. Girls, watch yourselves at the crag, hungry female-starved males are lurking in the shadows, seriouslyHowever, if you are going to Ten Sleep for Rock Climbing, then you are in luck! There are plenty O’Rocks to climb and it’s fun too.
Ten Sleep’s crags are around 50 miles west of Buffalo, Wyoming. This is where you need to stock up on the essentials. There is an Outdoor/Sporting store in Buffalo that sells things like Ropes, Petzl draws, and harnesses, but don’t expect to get them cheap. Also, Buffalo is where you lose cell phone service for the next hundred miles west, so make your calls.
Before you go, you should probably buy the Ten Sleep guidebook, even though some of the info is incorrect, it’s still very useful in navigating your way around. Aaron Huey is the author and you can click here to find out where to purchase. Camping is free and pretty darn abundant on the Old Highway. If you are looking for more luxurious accomadations, there is a campground a few miles up canyon from the crag. Okay okay, here’s the shit you really want to know.
1. Beer Bong 5.10, although I didn’t get on this route, I assume it’s the area’s most heavily traveled climb.
2. Save the Best For Last 5.11 (Wall of Denial), climbs next to an ice cave that is seriously 20 to 30 degrees cooler than the outside temps. Great route!
3. Circus in the Wind 5.11 b/c (Circus Wall), classic 5.11!
4. Sleight of Hand 5.12a (Dry Wall), long and sustained, like most 12a’s in TS.
5. Great White Behemoth 5.12b (Supereratic Wall), top three sport pitches I have ever been on! Worth the seven our drive to do this route and visit this wall!
6. Happiness in Slavery 5.12b (Slavery), Classic 12b climbing on pockets and edges. An area favorite.
7. Center El Shinto 5.12b (French Cattle Ranch), I can’t say the word sick enough! French Cattle Ranch and Supereratic walls are two of the best looking sport walls out there!
8. Circus in My Pants 5.12d (Circus Wall), great route with the gaston mono-pocket! Sustained and awesome!
9. Exo-Atmospheric Kill Vehicle, aka EKV, 5.12c (Slavery), Pumpy, sustained, great!
10. Burden of Immortality 5.13a (Slavery), check the rope length! Long and cruxy.
11. Hellion 5.13c (Supereratic), Gorgeous is all I have to say!
12. Sky Pilot 5.13+ (French Cattle Ranch). Pretty much, do any route you can at this area!
13. Several 14 projects that need to be cleaned up for those of you that like monos, micro crimps, and long moves on steep rock!
Ten Sleep is legit! If you happen to run into some of the local yokal climbers such as Kevin or Alli, they are super-cool and will be happy to give you any updated beta on the area as well as direct you to the best that Ten Sleep has to offer. So, pack your rigs and head to Wyoming where the Ice Cream is as creamy and dreamy as the Dolomite!!
Share on Facebook
5 Comments to Crag Exposure: Ten Sleep Canyon
Leave a comment
- 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell
- Andrew Bisharat
- Big Andy Photo
- Blog de lucas
- Climbing Narc
- Eldorado Outdoor Products
- Ethan Pringle
- Jer Collins the Great
- JK’s cryptochild
- Joe Kinder
- Katie Brown
- Les Warnock
- Lucas Photo
- Maury “Zipper-boy” Birdwell
- Misty Murphy
- Rocktown/Aaron Gibson
- s00kreem? huh?
- So iLL holds
- Sonnie Trotter
- Upskill Climbing
- Western CO Climbing Beta
No joke, Ten Sleep is stellar. Buy the climbing guide now! it’s on of my top 10 non-fiction books.
Check out Jake Kauppila’s photo gallery on Climbing.com
shut the fuck up!you have your facts all wrong you colorado fuck!aaron huey isnt and never was shit to this place!you need to shut your fucking mouth about this place!i will not let people like you ruin this beautiful place,im sick of your kind!the only thing huey did to develop ten sleep was to watch others do all the work,and take credit for it!i have been here for 14 yrs and i can tell you who fuckin developed this place!i will do anything to keep you and all your fucking friends out here.me and all the locals have had it with your rude,self centered,no mannered ass’s!go some where else,you are not welcome here!check out my myspace so people can read the true story of tensleep canyon.you and your friends need to SHUT THE FUCK UP!AND STAY HOME!
mike, i guess i shouldn’t ask to sleep on your couch when we come then?
well i guess that depends on who you are!as for broncos must do list,how can a you say you must do if you have never climbed it?sleight of hand is a nice route but is not the best that dry wall has to offer.i see you give save the best for last a 5.11?last time i checked it was 11b!im sorry that some people cant climb that 11b.i have heard so many cry and claim its harder but its not!why do you call it 11?bronco you dont have a fucking clue!once again boy shut the fuck up!!
bronco im sorry i twisted on you man.i get very defensive when it comes to this place and whats put out there about it.nobody has ever wanted to hear the real story of tensleep and theres 14 years worth to be told.you have shown me respect and i will do the same back.